The Zumba Dance Workout – New Cardio Craze?

Posted on

Today, I have a guest post by Jim Rollins from Gym Source.  If you’re already asking yourself, what is Zumba, well that would make two of us.  From the popularity of Dancing with the Stars, it’s not surprising that a new type of cardio class incorporates Latin rhythms and music.  Zumba appears to be a portmanteau of ‘zoom’ and ‘rumba’ which is fitting since the Rumba is the slowest of five competitive Latin dances.  Continue reading Jim’s article about Zumba…

Zumba Eliminates Stress and Promotes Fitness

- by Jim Rollince from Gym Source

Dancing is something that is fun to do, but can also get you into fantastic shape. Whether its belly, salsa, or even break, dancing will shed pounds and work muscles that normally aren’t touched by generic routines. Usually, if you want to lose the pounds quick and get healthy you have to jump on treadmills or sweat it out on octane elliptical, among other machines at the gym. Now, while these machines work wonders to help you lose weight they don’t make you any better of dancer. However, now there is a new fitness program that works all areas of your body, helps you to shed pounds, and helps you to move beautifully all over the dance floor. That program is the new and popular  Zumba.

Zumba’s motto is “ditch the workout, join the party” and while this isn’t completely true (there’s no argument from anyone who’s done it that it is a complete work out), it wants to stress that going to the gym or working out from home doesn’t have to be something that is seen as a chore. Health and fitness isn’t something that should be a pain even though it does cause a lot of it. Instead, Zumba argues that there’s no reason you can’t have a great time while getting into great bodily shape. What the program offers is a remarkably uplifting and energetic atmosphere for all involved, filled with upbeat music that pushes you to test your dexterity. Albeit eloquently simple at the beginner’s stage, Zumba also tests your mimicking skills, further allowing you to become more apt to following instructions.

The argument is that the more people want to work out, the more they will, and with Zumba you can take away a lot more than just a great looking body; now you’ve got dance moves that can be used anytime you hit the town!

Sure, lifting weights can build your muscles and running laps can build your stamina and speed but both of those usually leave you unable to get out of bed the next morning (and reluctant to want to go back to the gym and go through all of it again). Rather than that, Zumba uses Latin music and dance moves to make exercise something you want to look forward to. The program involves videos and classes that combine the rhythm of Latin music with burning off fat in one easy workout.

Worried about being the only person dancing at the gym?

Have no fear! Zumba is one of the biggest sensations to hit the gyms in a long, long time. As of May 2010, the program has been taught in over 60,000 locations in 105 countries worldwide. This is not to mention the millions of DVDs sold and 7.5 million people affected by the workout. Getting in shape has always been beneficial but now with a program like Zumba, it is beneficial both for getting in shape and rhythm. Although considered trendy by some, Zumba will likely be here to stay.

[box type="note"]Editor’s note:  click submit health article if you would like to submit an article on a health or fitness related topic.[/box]

17 thoughts on “The Zumba Dance Workout – New Cardio Craze?

Michelle said:
    June 8, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Hi Jarret/Jim,

I think that the Zumba dance workout sounds like a lot of fun! I’m going to see if there are any local Zumba classes in my local area (Houston). Thanks.

Patricia said:
      July 28, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Check the YMCA – Some locations offer Zumba Workout. Good luck!

Jarret Morrow, M.D. said:
    July 9, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Jim, thanks again for this article.

I have to admit that it’s almost getting embarrassing that Your Zumba workout article is still the most popular post on my blog week after week though. Well, it is my blog and all. ;)

Lloyd Shaw said:
    August 17, 2010 at 6:40 pm

I wouldn’t trust anything Jim Rollince said. He sells Power Plates. The most unethical fitness company in our industry.

Patricia said:
    September 3, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I just found this post and thought I would comment. This craze is really hitting us here in Perth Western Australia. It sure looks like an intense workout! If ppl are medically fit to engage in this highly intensive dance fitness then why not. For me I’ll stick to walking and swimming and sometimes slower dancing :-)
    Patricia Perth Australia

Jarret Morrow, M.D. said:
      September 19, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Hi Patricia, I have to be honest, this was a guest post and I hadn’t heard of Zumba until Jim submitting it. I was surprised to see how popular this type of workout has become.

Cori said:
    September 21, 2010 at 4:04 am

I’ve never heard of Zumba before this post. It looks like fun. I’ll have to find where to buy the DVD to try it: I don’t think there’s a Zumba class where I live…

Jarret said:
    September 21, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Cori, a Zumba DVD might be a good option if there are not any Zumba classes where you live.

James said:
    October 5, 2010 at 8:04 am

Zumba is a great and fun way to exercise. Yes, it’s definitely a workout, but doing something that’s different and not the same old boring routine will really help you to get results and keep you coming back :)

Jarret said:
      November 17, 2010 at 12:34 pm

James, that’s a great point. Part of the challenge of staying fit is keeping things fun and exciting. It’s not easy to maintain motivation when all of your workouts are the same.

Fitness Trends 2010 said:
    November 10, 2010 at 11:01 pm

[...] Exercise Classes: Specialty classes such as ethnic dance, hooping, pole dancing and Zumba will remain popular due in part to the continued success of shows like Dancing with the Stars and [...]

Ali Palmer said:
    January 10, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Really Zumba eliminates stress and promotes fitness. I will decide to buy a Zumba disk. Thanks :)

Henna said:
    February 15, 2011 at 6:39 am

This is great. And you are right, Zumba is relatively new and thus attracts more attention! I would love to try it. The name in itself sounds exciting!!…And i will be sharing it with more people on our website where we love to talk about the new raves in the world of fitness!..Thanks again Jarret and Jim:)

leoafricana said:
    October 4, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Zumba Sedona at the Ridge has been the best workout/party ever. I’ve done tkd, capoeira and such, nothing compares.

Andy King said:
    October 5, 2011 at 3:45 am

This is gonna be fun… People would surely would love exercise with fun. I am in NJ and will try to find any one who can teach Zumba. Or else I will try to find a DVD online.

Thanks for this useful information.

Maria said:
    October 27, 2011 at 8:37 pm

well, this is really interesting. Compare to other methods-most of them are boring exercise, some methods like this will help people keep fit while doing something interesting. And i believe it will last longer than those boring methods.

Fitness Trends 2012 – What’s In and What’s Out said:
    November 16, 2011 at 3:06 pm

[...] 1 on 1 personal training. Group training is a great way to get expert guidance at a reduced rate.Zumba and other dance workouts. Aerobics classes wrapped up in a latin beat.Functional fitness. This [...]

Comments are closed.