Dr. Morrow has been providing treatments with Botox injections for patients with chronic migraine headaches for over seven years at Serene Radiance Rutherford. Our clinic is conveniently located in South Edmonton. Continuing reading to find out more about chronic migraines or contact us for a consultation.
Botox Therapeutic® has been approved by Health Canada for the treatment of chronic migraine headaches since 2011.
Chronic migraines are defined as headaches on more than 15 days per month for greater than 3 months in duration. Estimates suggest that 2% of the population suffer from chronic migraines which can be a substantial cause of disability.
Chronic Migraine Headaches dx
- More than 15 headache days per month
- More than 8 headache days are migraine days
- Headaches last more than 4 hours per day for > 3 months
- When migraines successfully treated with migraine-specific medication (i.e. triptans) also count towards headache days.
- Often associated with medication overuse or rebound headaches
- Consult with a physician trained in diagnosing and treating chronic migraine headaches
Dietary Triggers, Lifesyle, and Supplements
Suffering from chronic migraine headaches can be very debilitating for patients. It can result in missing work, lost wages, trips to the emergency room, or having difficulty planning leisure activities.
In addition to treatment options such as Botox®, Dr. Morrow recommends that patients who suffer from chronic migraine headaches focus on lifestyle optimization. This includes ensuring that you’re getting good sleep, managing your stress levels, as well as exercising (when you don’t have headaches), to release your body’s natural endorphins.
It’s also important to identify dietary triggers for your migraine attacks including: caffeine, red wine, and MSG among others (more info).
Also, talk to your doctor or pharmacist about over-the-counter options including Magnesium citrate and coenzyme q10.
Botox for Chronic Migraines in Edmonton
Dr. Morrow is an experienced Botox injector both in medical and cosmetic applications.
To book an initial consultation, call (780) 780-2285 for more information. Click here for our location or refer to the map in the sidebar.
Coverage for Botox
Alberta Health Services covers the cost of the injection fee for patients between the ages of 18 to 65. However, the cost of the prescription for this therapy is quite significant for those who don’t have medication coverage from their employer. One popular option is to apply for Alberta Blue Cross non-group coverage.
Dr. Morrow is a licensed family physician who also provides cosmetic services including Botox Cosmetic® for reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles as well as dermal fillers.
Chronic Migraine Resource Links
- Migraine Canada info about chronic migraine headaches
- ID CM Chronic Migraine screening test.
- List of Migraine Food Triggers.
- Migraine headache supplements and medication list (talk to your doctor or pharmacist about)